Monday 23 November 2020

Saying Good-Bye ... Haere Rá

Does anyone else form an attachment to their motorhome? 

I do!  I'm that person. 

In fact when we sold our bus recently and it came time for the new owner to pick it up, I made sure I wasn’t at home. I left that part to Bernie. I didn’t want to see someone else driving our bus away!

This will probably sound crazy but I kinda humanise vehicles. Which is what I did with ‘Bussy’. When we drove up a steep hill I'd pat the dash board and offer encouragement, "come on - you can do it". And after a trip I’d give the dashboard a rub and thank her for doing a good job.



During the time we owned the bus we made several changes and created a little home away from home. Adding our own touches and making alterations here and there, made it feel like an extension of our home. 



I’m so grateful for the many memories this 7metre bus has given us and I'm thankful she transported us safely to many destinations. I know the dogs are going to miss traveling about in her. On sunny days, if the bus was parked at home, we'd open up the door to air her out and the dogs would jump in and lie on the couch, hoping we'd go away somewhere. To them, the bus represented adventures and good times. Every trip took them (Oakly and Boo) to new places to explore and sniff. When we stayed in the MacKenzie Country, it was heaven on earth for the dogs. Every direction we wandered there seemed to be a rabbit or two. They loved Bussy as much as we did. 


Hopefully the new owners will also enjoy the bus and care for her like we did. And continue to have many happy and safe adventures.


Saying good-bye to that little turquoise bus was like farewelling a loyal friend 



 "How lucky am I to have something 

that makes saying goodbye so hard" 

Winnie the Pooh



6 comments:

  1. Awe, I hear you. When my mini was written off I patted Albie Chocolate's dashboard and said it would be okay. Then I stepped outside and saw the damage to the back and gasped, quickly putting my hand over my mouth so Albie wouldn't hear my reaction. I grieved the loss of my little block of chocolate coloured mini. My first true sense of loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the name of your mini and pleased to read that someone else gets attached to their vehicle.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I am like you....had a cry when we sold our Toyota Coaster the day before the first Lockdown. We met the new owner at the Kerikeri airport - still wonder what he was thinking as I sat in the car crying....I miss our 'Offski'....we had such a wonderful time and travelled from the Far North to the Deep South as well as lots of local trips with our beautiful Grand children. They miss it too. One day we will get something else and off we will go all over again - it's what we xo seem to do. Maybe you will too? Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely know how you feel. Good luck with finding your next campervan/bus so you can continue building memories and traveling again. I've bought a little Mitzi L300, which needs some TLC before she's ready to begin adventuring.

      Delete
  3. Oh, absolutely understood. Campervanning and bussing are like travelling in a car with extra good bits - doing it slower and making memories. And think how many (men especially) love their CARS ... I recently sold my tiny caravan and felt the pangs. No-one can take away the memories, however. And your photos are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your lovely comment. Yes, it seems there are a few of us who form attachments to their motorhomes/buses/caravans/cars/campers. Pleased to know I'm in good company.

    ReplyDelete